On the verge of a public beta, my predictions for the coming major version are as follows:
- Improved administration panel interface
- Action Hooks: Easy Plug-In installation
- Scriptaculous replaced with jQuery library
- Skin configuration files
- Traditional SpamBot replaced with ReCpatcha /w customizable theme
- Importers for transferring from CC4 and possibly other shopping carts (e.g. Magento)
- FCKeditor replaced with something less irritating (possibly TinyMCE or CKEditor)
- Utilization of AJAX
- Improved caching
- Support for multiple databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite etc.)
- Improved search engine friendly URLs
- Continuation of the dreaded xTemplate library
- Dynamic image scaling
- Improved postage/shipping
- Support for all the gateways present in CC4 (and possibly one or two more)
- Customer sign in with OpenID
- Product image zooming and lightbox support
- Product options with stock levels
- Customizable pagination links – finally!
- Product reviews on the same page as the product – no duplicate content penalties
It should be said that some of these predictions are based on comments by the developers. I’m also hesitant to say that the stock skins may not support IE6.
ShopDev Upgrade Policy
We provide updates free of charge across a major release (i.e. V4.x – V4.y). There will be an upgrade license fee between major releases (i.e. V4.x – V5.y). Please note that we will not release any CC5 skins until we deem the software to be as stable as reasonably possible. This does not mean that you’ll have to wait until CC5 is production ready.